23 July 2009

Mental Health Jesus Personality Type Re Personality Type

Edit Posted by Unknown with No comments
Mental Health Jesus Personality Type Re Personality Type
lyric cerridwen wrote:

There are many options for Myers Briggs test on the internet. Google is my friend

lyric cerridwen,

Thanks for your follow-up message. I didn't mean for the tone of my previous message to seem harsh. If it seemed that way, I'm sorry. I apologize. It's just that, at my age, I do tend to be skeptical about things. And I've found that skepticism is a good way to balance out idealism. I was almost totally ruined by Christianity due my idealistic view of the Christian version of Christ. (The link in my signature leads to my introduction on this site. I summarize there, but only briefly, my spiritual journey. I'm 54 y/o.)

Also, I really don't have time to take such tests, because there isn't any benefit in it for me, no reward, no compensation for my time and energy spent. No advantage resulting from it. I'd rather freely discuss ideas instead. And the "yes-no" answer choice for each question seems to imply an "either-or" presumption about personality elements. That could tend to be polarizing and even reductionist, not allowing for a wholistic view of personhood. (I know, I know, the consensus of academics and professional practitioners can't be wrong. )

Maybe we can discuss Jung's ideas anyway. There were a couple other threads I had read/posted in during the past couple months that deal with Jungian thought. I'm interested in exploring archetypes further, as indicators of the emerging "self" and the process of individuation. I'm especially interested in the relationship between psychology and spirituality, and the relationship between the Human and the Divine.

I recently read a book written by a psychologist (who is also a self-identifying Christian) who examined the personality type of Jesus (the literary character in the canonical gospels). The author admits that this is almost a taboo subject in orthodox Christianity, especially among fundamentalists and evangelicals. He concludes that Jesus displays a "melancholic utopian" personality type. Fifty percent or more of the book deals with the cultural, religious, socio-political, and family-of-origin issues surrounding Jesus' character.

Personality type is quite a complex aspect of one's being. I believe that one's personality type, as well as one's sense of "self" (the "I"), is an emergent aspect (or entity) of one's internal processes and external influences -- as well as the process of integrating the internal and external elements. I'm also interested in exploring further Jung's concept of Christ being the representation or model of the ultimate self, the fully integrated self, which Jung called the "Aion." However, I do tend to look beyond what I see Jung's concept of this to be. I am considering the idea that Christ is a metaphor for the evolving sense of self in human consciousness, leading beyond religion to a Humanistic view of self -- even a spiritual Humanism. But I do see Pagan spirituality being able to facilitate this personal evolutionary experience.

I've been intending to begin a thread in the "Christianity" subforum here. That's probably where this topic should go. I'm interested in dialoguing with other people who have journeyed through Christianity and evolved beyond it (not merely rejected it and sort of aborted their experience with it) -- or who have evolved to where they can integrate Paganism with their sense of Christ (perhaps Christ in the sense of Jung's Aion concept).

If I get time soon, I'll start a thread. I need to think about it briefly and consider how to word it, if any differently from what I've stated here.

Blessed Be,

Soul

Statistics: Posted by Soul - Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:22 pm


0 comments:

Post a Comment